Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Mexican Chicken Lime Soup

You can call me the "The Modifier!" I rarely make a recipe that I don't tweak in some way. Being a registered dietitian I make it my mission to make foods healthier. I rarely use full fat products and if I do, I cut back. I'm kind of the Ellie Krieger of the real world! Today I made Rachel Ray's Mexican Chicken Lime Soup...Suzanne style. Here is a link to the original recipe - http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/mucho-gusto-latin-recipes/mexican-chicken-lime-soup

I started with my onions and garlic sauteed in a little olive oil. Instead of using raw chicken, I used cooked rotisserie chicken that I had previously shredded and added that into the pot.
Then I added my chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and 6 cups of chicken broth.
I brought it to a boil and because I add pasta to all my soups, this one was no different! I like to make it a bit heartier.
I let the pasta cook and then added the juice of 2 limes and about 1/4-1/2 cup chopped cilantro.
I let it cook a bit longer and then served. It was delicious but a bit spicy. We liked it but if you want to dial it down a bit I would only use 1 pepper.
So here is the recipe...

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 large sweet onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove fresh garlic, minced
  • 2-3 cups of shredded cooked rotisserie chicken
  • 2 canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, finely chopped, plus 1 tablespoon adobo sauce
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
  • Juice of 2 limes
  • 1 cup uncooked small pasta

Directions

  1. In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and cook until the onion begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the cooked chicken and stir. Stir in the chipotles and adobo sauce, then stir in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil and add pasta. Cook until al dente. Stir in the cilantro and lime juice. Let all ingredients simmer about 5 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment