Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish

I LOVE DANISH!! There. It is my favorite "dessert." I like cookies and pies and cakes, but Danish holds a special place in my heart (and my stomach!). I don't buy it too often because I will eat it all. By myself.  So if I feel the need I will occasionally purchase a single danish pocket from the Publix bakery. I have been known to get two thinking I'll save the other for another day. No. Which is the reason I don't buy a whole one!! So I found this recipe on Pinterest from Lauren's Latest. If you've never visited her blog, do it...awesome! I thought I would try it...with a few modifications of course. Mine is called Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish for a reason -- it uses blueberries instead of blackberries. They were on sale and I love blueberries!
I started with reduced fat crescent rolls and rolled them into a rectangle that just about fit my baking stone.

I then rolled it out to seal all of the cracks. In a bowl I combined 8 oz softened 1/3 less fat cream cheese (I left mine out on the counter for an hour or so), 1/2 cup sugar, 3 T flour, and 1 tsp vanilla.


I cut 1 inch diagonal cuts in the sides of the crescent roll and then added the cream cheese mixture down the middle. I added about 1 cup of fresh blueberries on top of the cream cheese mixture and then overlapped the crescent roll cuts.
I baked it in a 375 oven for about 18 minutes, until the top browned.

I let it cool completely. Now for the glaze...I mixed 1/2 cup powdered sugar with 1/8 tsp vanilla and somewhere between 2-4 tablespoons of heavy cream. I would start with 2 and add more to get it to the consistency of a glaze. I then drizzled it all over the top of the danish.

Looks good huh?? Tastes good too :)  REALLY good!
This was super easy so I don't see why I would have to go to Publix any more to buy theirs! I made mine a little lower fat too! :)  You really could modify this any way you like -- add the type of fruit you like, or add walnuts and make a glaze using maple syrup...endless possibilities!  Enjoy!

Suzanne's Blueberry Cream Cheese Danish
(printable recipe)

1 tube reduced-fat crescent rolls
8 oz 1/3 less fat cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 T flour
1 cup fresh blueberries


Glaze:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/8 tsp vanilla extract
2-4 T heavy cream


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl combine cream cheese, sugar, flour and vanilla. Set aside. Open crescent rolls. Lay the rolls out as they are on a baking sheet or stone and roll out to about 1/4 inch thickness, sealing all seams. Cut 1-inch diagonal strips up the sides of the dough leaving about 3 inches of uncut dough down the middle. Spread cream cheese mixture down the center of the dough. Top with blueberries. Fold the dough up over the top of the mixture. Bake for about 18 minutes or until top is lightly browned. Cool completely. Transfer to a serving plate. In a small bowl mix the ingredients for the glaze. Start with 2 T of heavy cream and add more to the desired consistency. Drizzle over the top of the danish. Cut and serve.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks good!

    I'll have to try that. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks fantastic!! I'm a danish lover myself, so you're speaking to me here! I'll definitely have to find a spot to put this into the rotation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good. I don't always like blueberry stuff, but I'm going to try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband said he thought raspberries would be good next time so I think I'll try it. He did say special occasions only though because he has no self control! :-)

    ReplyDelete